Thursday, June 9, 2011

Great People I've met who have really helped - Part 1: Chris Haddon

One of the best parts about the whole experience is that you will meet some really great, very passionate, creative and terribly generous people along the way.  With any luck, many will turn into good friends.


At this point I'm only a few weeks into it and I've already met some great folks.


Chris Haddon
 I guess it started with Chris, really.  


Actually, it started with Chris's and Jane Field-Lewis's truly excellent book My Cool Caravan.
I was looking at old caravans and a web search turned up the book. I found a copy while I was working in Sydney the next week and just fell in love with it.  It is beautifully photographed and infused with sympathetic humour and whimsy completely befitting the subject matter.  The format is heavily image based with wonderful style notes.  It makes for fantastic inspiration as you are deciding which van / trailer you want and is a great reference as you are planning your renovation.  The book features a number of classic and vintage vans, not just Airstreams. 

Chris lives in the UK and owns two Airstreams, one of which functions as his office in the back garden.  Talk about living the dream.


I emailed Chris a few questions and he immediately suggested we Skype.  I pumped him for info and he was very obliging.  Chis is a great guy with knowledge about finding and transporting vintage vans but most of all he has a keen sense of visual style and a great design aesthetic.  His office trailer looks lovely and is another inspiration point for my renovation.


They have just released another book called My Cool Campervan.  It looks great too.


Visit the website: www.mycoolcaravan.com
Read the reviews: Amazon reviews - My Cool Caravan

No comments:

Post a Comment