Monday, September 12, 2011

The Airstream Renovation as a Designed Experience

As someone who designs experiences for a living, I can't help but try to bring a very deliberate approach to the design of this Airstream.  I'm gonna borrow some of the methods from my profession and apply them to the trailer renovation exercise.

I really enjoy slowing the design process down (just enough) and making each of the steps very explicit and deliberate. This really helps me get to the best design when I'm working and ensures that each design decision is made for the right reason.  This is a small area and I have a very tight budget - everything needs to be there for a reason and each feature needs to occupy only as much space as it requires to support my needs.

The User Experience process can be broken down into three phases.
1.  Research
2.  Design
3.  Validation

In theory, all this should take place before physical work (demolition and construction) begins.

In the following diagram, I've laid out these phases with some of the activities I may undertake clustered below them.  There are many approaches that could be taken and I could have employed some different activities to the ones listed (I may yet) but at this stage I've packed my kitbag with those coloured dark grey.  I figure I have covered Requirements and Best Practice (Thanks Hoffman et al) in previous posts so they are checked off in green.


I recently attended a workshop by Jon Kolko where we practiced Insight Combination and Reframing activities as design synthesis techniques. I'm keen to give them a go in this context.

Next up... Personas.

No comments:

Post a Comment